Sunday, February 13, 2005

A Few More Submissions Trickle In

I've been in a bit of a funk lately, and I think it's partly due to this publishing project. Although I've been announcing my plans to flash-oriented groups on the internet as well as at public readings in the area, I've been amazed and depressed by the lack of submissions. Many publications complain about the thousands of submissions they have to plow through in order to select one or two for publication. I, on the other hand, want to put together a collection of 13 to 15 pieces but haven't even received half that many.

Nevertheless, I'm strangely intimidated by the pieces that I've gotten. Are they as good as I think they are? Am I fit to judge them? Is it possible that I'll receive something even better when the floodgates open and I'm inundated by millions of submissions?

To be certain that I don't misjudge a submission, I've asked Sandra Seamans to be my co-editor. Although I've never met her in person, I've always enjoyed the responses that she's produced to the prompts on FlashXer, and I've received a lot of level-headed and helpful criticism from her on my responses, so I think we'll make a good team.

Now all we need are enough submissions to judge! I've been thinking that part of the problem may be the restrictive requirement that submissions contain certain words or that preference will be given to works about a particular topic. Therefore, I've decided to eliminate those elements from the guidelines, and you can write about anything you want! So ... why not send us something wittily whimsical, eclectically entertaining, mischievously mythical, and/or scintillatingly snappy?