Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Submission Deadline Has Come and Gone

*
April 1st was the deadline for submissions to The Trial Issue of A Flasher’s Dozen.

The next deadline is May 2nd, the date by which we’ll have either accepted or released all of the 26 submissions that we received.

So far, we’ve accepted ten and released nine. That leaves us with seven stories in the “holding bin,” and it means that we’ll have to make some tough decisions during the final pare-down. We need at least thirteen stories to make a “flasher’s dozen.” I’d originally planned to include fifteen, but I’d been expecting to receive shorter pieces, and I’m not sure how many pieces I can actually cram into a sensibly sized chapbook, even using a small-font type.

Once we’ve chosen the submissions, we’ll need the paper to print it on. Toward this end, I purchased some Cover Stock at Staples last month, but it wasn’t compatible with my Laser Copier, so the print tended to smudge. Therefore, I’d needed to find Laser-friendly Cover Stock with matching 24lb text paper.

Recently Office Max had a special “brown-bag sale” in which shoppers received 15% off of all the items they could fit into an old-fashioned paper grocery bag. I spent a long time in their paper aisle trying to select the best paper I could afford. I ended up with a white stock that contained tiny, multicolored confetti randomly deposited on the surface. It was kind of cute in a celebratory way. Unfortunately, the confetti tended to “distort” the letters by adding unexpected blobs to the small font I was using, and I was disappointed with the results in spite of reassurances from several people who examined a mock-up of the first ten stories.

So, on the first Sunday in April, while searching for a new space heater to replace the one that died last week (“Sorry, but that’s a seasonal item!”) and a new outdoor lamp to replace the one that had been broken by an overly efficient snowplow last month, we stopped into a Staples and were able to locate and purchase some elegant Ivory Cover Stock as well as similarly hued 24lb text paper. Now, I’ve got the paper, the copier (a Christmas present from my wife), the saddle stapler, and the paper trimmer. Hence, I’m physically ready to produce The Trial Issue.