Sunday, June 19, 2005

Learning as I Go

*
Someone pointed out a serious oversight on The Trial Issue: I forgot to get a copyright! Fortunately, I was able to take care of this problem last Monday by re-designing the cover to include a “(Copyright Symbol) 2005 by KR Mullin for the authors.” Of course, I also had to complete the forms and send two copies with a check for $30 to the Library of Congress.

While preparing for this action, I thought I should investigate the possibility of including an ISBN number to make it truly official! However, 10 ISBN numbers cost $225, and that doesn’t include an additional $230 for the matching bar codes. Of course, one cannot actually GET printed bar codes for that price; one either needs a bar code printer or one has to pay a middleman to print the bar codes. Fortunately, ISBN numbers and bar codes are not required on serials, especially if one is not intending to market them through a bookstore. Alas, when I bring out the first “chapbook” in September, I’ll have to tack on another $45.50 expenditure per book.

Meanwhile, how much have I already spent on this project?

Labels and Envelopes............$30.57
Paper.....................................38.16
Postage..................................34.25
Copyright...............................30.00
Laser Copying Equipment ....... ??.??
Time (Editing, Copying, etc)...... ?.??
-------------------------------------------
Expenditures to Date............132.98

PayPal Receipts......................$30.00
PayPal Fees............................ -1.48
Checks...................................20.00
-------------------------------------------
Income...................................48.52

Profit / (Loss)........................(84.46)